Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Humility

James 4:6-12

The LeadHer theme for March is humility and I have begun working on that.  Imagine my surprise to read all about humility in today's reading.  Of course, we all know God was not surprised.  This led me into some research on what humility really is.  Wikipedia defines it as "the quality of being modest and respectful."    Another definition is "modesty, lacking pretence, not believing that you are superior to others"   I have always thought of humility as being the opposite of pride. What this passage suggests we need to do to be humble is: 1.  Submit yourself to God  2.  Fight against the devil.  3.  Come near to God  4.  Wash your hands and Cleanse your heart (purify yourself) 5.  Lament, grieve, cry, lay face down before God.  My interpretation is that humbling yourself before God means ridding yourself of pride and admitting that God, not YOU, is in  charge.    It means giving God credit not taking it for yourself.  It means realizing that He is ultimately in charge and what we are able to do is because of Him.  To me it means getting your selfish ambition out of the way.  To me it means letting God in the driver's seat, not as a passenger as you determine your own direction.  It is not easy and a daily decision.  

What does humbling yourself before God mean to you?

The good news is verse 8  "Come close to the one true God, and He will draw close to you." (VOICE)   That is what I want most of all.

Keep watching the comments on this.  I will be doing more study on humility this month and may be adding more thoughts.  Plus, there is another whole section from today's reading that I didn't address.

If you like reading my posts, please consider following me. It's an easy way to know when I've posted something new


Thanksgiving for today
536.  Cleaned Driveways and Sidewalks
537.  Laptop
538.  Weather warm enough to play outside
539.  NuWave Oven

No comments:

Post a Comment