Sunday, March 24, 2013

Keep Your Eyes On Jesus

Matthew 14:25-33

Would you have the courage to get out of the boat and head toward Jesus?  Would you have the courage to walk on water?  I know Peter was watching Jesus do it, but other than Jesus he had never seen it done.  And, I don't know about you, but I tend to doubt that I can do things humans don't normally do, even when Jesus tells me to.  Why do I doubt the miracle?  Why don't I always completely trust in Jesus?  He has NEVER let me down and NEVER will.  Why don't I trust that?

Peter trusted enough to get out of the boat--which I'm not sure I always do.  His problem came when he didn't keep his eyes on Jesus.  He looked at the waves and got scared.  How often do we do that--if we have courage to get out of the boat, how easy it is to not keep our focus on Jesus.  We look at the difficulty swirling around us and get scared.  We look down.  Peter did the right thing when he started to fall.  He refocused on Jesus and asked for help.  He knew where His help could come from.  He knew who was more powerful than the storm.  Help me always look to Jesus when I start to fall.  The storm cannot overtake me when I focus on the One more powerful than the storm.

"As long as Jesus is one of many options, He is no option.  As long as you can carry your burdens alone, you don't need a burden bearer.  As long as your situation brings you no grief, you will receive no comfort.  And as long as you can take Him or leave Him, you might as well leave Him, because He won't be taken half-heartedly."--From The Applause of Heaven by Max Lucado

No comments:

Post a Comment