Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Our High-Powered Defense Lawyer

1 John 2:1-6
 

Isn't it great news that we have an advocate (or as the VOICE says, "high-powered defense lawyer") to defend us before the Father?  I for one am certainly glad to have Jesus in my corner.  My sins are covered.  But, that doesn't mean I can just go on sinning.  Verse 5 in the VOICE says, "But if someone responds to and obeys His word, then God's love has truly taken root and filled him.  This is how we know we are in an intimate relationship with Him."  That is what I am really attempting to do through this blog.  I am "searching for the truth." But, it's not enough to intellectually find the truth.  I must act on what I discover.  When God reveals truth to me, I must be ready to be obedient.  Easier said than done.  It's much easier to file new information away in your brain as an interesting fact.  It's much harder to put what you are learning into action.  That often requires change and  face it--change is hard!!!  But, I want to be obedient, so I am trying.

Verse 6 tells us to "walk the path Jesus walked" (VOICE) or "live the same kind of life Jesus lived." (MESSAGE)  How do we do this?  First we need to learn about Him so that we know how He lived and can live that way ourselves.  Does this mean to literally do everything He did?  I don't think so.  How many of us can raise someone from the dead? or perform many of His miracles?  It does mean to follow His commands and live a life of loving God and loving others. 

Right now, I am struggling to understand the concept of fasting and whether I should make it part of my life.  When we are commanded to "live the same kind of life Jesus lived," does that mean fasting?  What do you think?  This is something I'm really trying to work out, I would value your insight. 

I'm excited to read a book that came in the mail this weekend: Stop Asking Jesus Into Your Heart: How to Know for Sure You Are Saved by J.D. Greear.  It seems to me it will go right along with this passage,  Jesus is our Advocate, but we need to live the same kind of life He lived.  Keep watching.  I'll let you know what I think when I get it read.



If you like reading my posts, please consider following me. It's an easy way to know when I've posted something new

Thanksgiving for today
656.  Enthusiasm
657.  Energy
658.  Sharing good news
659.  Technology
660.  The right people at the right time

No comments:

Post a Comment