Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Words Kill

  Matthew 5:21-24


Every time I read a familiar passage in a different translation, it strikes me just a little bit different.  So, for those of you who don't have access to the VOICE translation, I'm going to quote 21-22 here: "As you know, long ago God instructed Moses to tell His people, 'Do not murder;' those who murder will be judged and punished.  But here is the even harder truth: anyone who is angry with his brother will be judged for his anger.  Anyone who taunts his friend, speaks contemptuously towards him, or calls him "Loser" or "Fool" or "Scum" will have to answer to the high court.  And anyone who calls his brother a fool may find himself in the fires of hell." Now who can honestly say that they've never called someone one of these names.  Maybe not out loud, but at least in their hears, to themselves.  OUCH!!   Jesus just told us this is the same as murder.  It reminds me of the saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."  I have always said BALONEY!!!  Words hurt and it often takes longer to heal from words that from a physical wound.  The Message says, "The simple moral fact is that words kill."  So, we should all be aware that our choice of words has an impact.  Choose words that build up not tear down.

No comments:

Post a Comment