Saturday, March 23, 2013

Love Others

1 John 3:17-24

"If a person owns the kinds of things we need to make it in the world but refuses to share with those in need, is it even possible that God's love lives in him?  My little children, don't just talk about love as an idea or a theory.  Make it your true way of life, and live in the pattern of gracious love."
 (1 John 3:17-18 VOICE)

I know I don't really believe someone loves me if they only say the word, but don't really act that way.  They can't tell me they love me and then treat me poorly and say horrible things about me.  I don't think life works that way.  So, if we as humans don't believe people love when their actions don't line up why do we think we can live that way?  Why do we think we can say we a loving and love God and others if we don't act like it.  We don't do a great job of tricking other humans if our words and actions don't match up.  Why do we think we can trick God?  He already knows our hearts and knows what we're really thinking and feeling. 

I think it really all comes down to selfishness.  Really, the only reason we don't give to others is that we're thinking of ourselves.  We are not living like God wants us to live.  We are not being humble.  We are being selfish.  You cannot truly love others while being selfish and thinking of yourself above others.  What do you think?  What prevents you from loving?  What prevents you from giving to others?

I think in order to love others, we must first understand how much God loves us.  We must stay in constant connection with Him and receive daily portions of His love and mercy.  We cannot give what we have not ourselves received.  But, we can't help but share when it is pouring out of us.  I realize I'm probably jumping ahead of myself here because this verse is in my next reading, but it is a perfect verse for how we can love and share.  "We love because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19 VOICE)

We must recognize just how much He loves us and then share that love with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment